Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    You have found our archive! Charming lives on here!
    02.05 One last puzzle before we depart!
    02.01 AC? What AC?
    01.26 Impending URL changes!
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...

Amateur Quidditch Tournament
    This event is planned for February; exact dates TBD!

What's Going On?
    Thom Pettigrew, Nathaniel Gallivan, Roberto Devine, & Mitch Quiddel are co-sponsoring an off-season Quidditch event for charity. Adult, non-professional Quidditch players will be able to sign up to compete all through the month of January (IC; OOC you can sign up now/whenever) as either teams or individuals; the latter will be grouped together into teams.

When/where/how/if the teams practice is up to the people involved. Matches will begin in February following the conclusion of the regular Quidditch season and will take place on the Hogsmeade Howlers' pitch. Matches will take place in the evenings, so working folks won't have to take any time off of work to either play or attend. After either one or two games per team (depending on the number of teams to sign up), all scores will be tallied and the top four teams will progress to the semi-finals, then the winners to the final match. The champion team will win a modest pot of prize money and the chance to face off against a professional player 'All Star' team.

Spectators will be asked to pay a very small entrance fee (easily accessible to the lower class), with all the proceeds going towards a charity which provides for injured Quidditch players and their families during their convalescence. There is no fee to participate as a player. People of all backgrounds and social status are invited to participate, including women (though if women try to sign up to be beaters, their paperwork might get 'lost' #whoops). Players must be 15+ and no longer in school.

The All Star Team
    Players from the sponsors' teams will be asked if they'd like to volunteer to be on the 'All Star' team playing against the amateur champions. This includes Puddlemere, Cannons, Kestrals, and Howlers. Pro players can also volunteer to serve as referees for the amateur games. It's not like you're doing much in the off season anyway. =P

PositionPlayerOriginal Team
    Captain@'Arthur Pettigrew' Hogsmeade Howlers
    Chaser@'Arthur Pettigrew' Hogsmeade Howlers
    Chaser@'Tristan Michaud'Puddlemere United
    Chaser@'Andren Lovegood'Puddlemere United
    Beater@'Magnus Lockhart'Chudley Cannons
    Beater@'Fitzroy Prewett'Chudley Cannons
    KeeperLawrence McCraeKenmare Kestrals (NPC)
    Seeker@'Jacob Babineaux'Puddlemere United

Logistics
    Feel free to use this thread to figure out who you'd like to be on a team with, what position your character might be able to play, when/if you want to practice, etc. Once you've figured out what your plan is, determine modifiers for each of your players and tag Thom's account so I can add you in to the tournament. You can also sign up as an individual and be assigned to a team with random other folks. Your team can include NPC players, but you will get a modifier of -1 total for each NPC.

There are three types of modifiers, and five potential levels within each one:
    Experience
    Athleticism
    23+ years less than 3 years ago 2Very Athletic
    13+ years more than 3 years ago 1In Shape
    01-3 years less than 3 years ago 0Average
    -11-3 years more than 3 years ago -1Out of Shape
    -2No experience -2Flitterbloom Vaisey
    Talent
    2Could have played professionally
    1Did well in school Quidditch
    0Mediocre
    -1Knows most of the rules
    -2What's Quidditch?

A team sign-up, therefore, might look something like this:
    Team Quaffle Quashers:
    Chaser: Bobby Joe (2/-1/0)
    Chaser: Billy Joe (0/0/-1)
    Chaser: Betty Sue (0/0/0)
    Beater: NPC (-1)
    Beater: Sara Lee (0/0/-2)
    Keeper: NPC (-1)
    Seeker: NPC (-1)

An individual sign-up might look like this:
    Thom Pettigrew, chaser or seeker, -2/0/0

Your individual modifiers will be combined with rolls to determine goals scored, which team catches the snitch, approximate length of the game, and general potential for injury. I've got a spreadsheet that does all that and I'm hella proud of it.

At the start of the event the results of the matches will be posted here, and you all can choose to thread before/during/after/around them as you please, or not (same policy as the broom jousting event last year; thread anything you feel would be interesting). The "potential for injury" will be left vague, so affected teams can decide who is injured, how it happened, and how severely they're affected. The semi-finals/finals match results will be posted later to build up suspense. ;D

Questions?
    Ask away! This is sort of my baby but Beanie/Kayte/Emma can also answer questions or decide things if they want xD

Thom will also be sniping for potential Puddlemere United recruits if anyone shows promise and the potential desire to go pro (male only) and stealth-recruiting for his ladies' Quidditch campaign (female only but with a much lower bar generally speaking); if you're interested in either LMK and we'll plot it out!

When you've got your ducks in a row and are ready to be added to the spreadsheet/roster, please tag Thom Pettigrew's account so I don't miss it!

Group sign-up:
    Code:
    <b>Team Name Here</b>:
    Chaser: @'Name' (0/0/0)
    Beater: @'Name' (0/0/0)
    Beater: @'Name' (0/0/0)
    Keeper: @'Name' (0/0/0)
    Seeker: @'Name' (0/0/0)

Individual sign-up:
    Code:
    @'Name', position(s) sought, (0/0/0)

Team HorntailsTeam Excalibur
    ChaserMortimer SkeeterChaserHowell Merrick
    ChaserTheodore GallivanChaserReuben Crouch
    Chaser--ChaserJulius Scrimgeour
    BeaterTom GrantBeaterAlexander Echelon
    Beater--BeaterPercy Pettigrew
    KeeperTheo JameshillKeeperAdrien Favreau
    Seeker--Seeker(NPC)
    Team PhoenixTeam Lepruchan
    ChaserOphelia DippetChaserElias Grimstone
    ChaserPorphyria DempseyChaser--
    Chaser--Chaser--
    BeaterRuth LockhartBeater--
    Beater--BeaterAlfred Clearwater
    KeeperLucinda CavanaughKeeperGrace Grimm
    Seeker--SeekerEugene Reese

Ben wants to put together an Excalibur team! He typically plays chaser but could swing to beater if needed!

@'Alexander Echelon' @'Adrien Favreau' @'Frederick Humphrey-Mavis' @'Percy Pettigrew' @'Julius Scrimgeour'

edit: modifiers so I don't forget to post them later >> (1, 2, 2)
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Reuben Crouch's post:
       Ellory Pendergast
    FITZY WANTS BEATER YO.
    [-] The following 2 users Like Aldous Crouch's post:
       Cassius Lestrange, Thom Pettigrew
    after a splinching incident in july 1884, aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp.
    [Image: xndky8.jpg]
    set by bree
    TEAM GIRLS-WHO-REALLY-SHOULD-NOT-TRY-TO-PLAY-QUIDDITCH.

Ophelia wants to impress Roberto. >> Her modifier will be (-2/1/-1) omg you poor child you're going to die and she'll play any position.

Come be on her team, athletically inclined Phoenix Society types! @'Lucinda Cavanaugh' @'Eva Sleptova' @'Porphyria Dempsey' (@'Elizabeth Humphrey-Mavis' and @'Penelope Humphrey-Mavis' if they're inclined?)

@'Ismene Swift' gets an invite because someone on this team should know how to Quidditch. If she wants to bring @'Dorothea Potts' or @'Loretta Browne' along Ophelia will trust her judgement on that front.

Also if anyone's brothers want to be beaters that would be good. >> Ophelia needs someone to protect her from bludgers so she doesn't bang up her pretty lil face.

EDIT: @'Autumn Avery' is also welcome if she'll be active. @'Una Walsh' could get invited as well if you want, Hawke!
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Ophelia Dippet's post:
       Clarissa Cosgrove
    My tributes:

@'Howell Merrick', Chaser, (1/2/2)
    @'Alexander Echelon', Beater, (-1/1/-1)
    @'Adrien Favreau', Keeper, (-2, 2, -1)
    @'Eugene Reese', Seeker, (-2, 1, 0)
    @'Tom Grant', Beater, (-1, 2, 0)
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Clarissa Cosgrove's post:
       Ophelia Dippet
    [Image: oicvlM.png]
    @'Andren Lovegood' as a pro-team Chaser? Maybe dock his modifier a lil b/c he's not beating but /shrug
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Andren Lovegood's post:
       Thom Pettigrew
    [Image: 28835zd.png]
    SET BY SOPH
    Ismene won't play but she'll cheer like mad for any of her friends who do and only mildly judge them for participating <3
    after a splinching incident in july 1884, aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp.
    [Image: xndky8.jpg]
    set by bree
    I'd be down for an Exalibur team!
    (-2,2,0) for a flat 0. 
    No perfered position but being the tallest he'd probably make a sucky seeker. Ill fill him in where needed!

As for anyone else playing, ill decide that later!
    [Image: mSMnBX.jpg]
    thanks bree!!
    @‘thom pettigrew’

Ben

@'Percy pettigrew', beater, (-1/1/2)
    Team Excalibur is set unless someone wants to add themselves in as a seeker! (@'Thom Pettigrew')

Chaser: @'Howell Merrick' (1/2/2)
    Chaser: @'Reuben Crouch' (1/2/2)
    Chaser: @'Julius Scrimgeour' (-2/2/0)
    Beater: @'Alexander Echelon' (-1/1/-1)
    Beater: @'Percy Pettigrew' (-1/1/2)
    Keeper: @'Adrien Favreau' (-2/2/-1)
    Seeker: NPC (-1)
    So Tybalt would probably enjoy volunteer refereeing!

PHYRI IS IN. She will be useless but enthusiastic, and would probably be a chaser, though if they don't get any boys in would also be raring to go as a beater >.>  Her mod is also (-2/1/-1), welp. xD

Hmm who else...
    I can throw in @'Mortimer Skeeter' (1/2/2)
    @'Theodore Gallivan' (2/2/2)
    or @'Elias Grimstone' (1/1/2)
    /Why do I have so many pro quidditcher near-misses???? And they were all chasers but gdi I don't care, they'll give any position a go. And I don't necessarily want/need them all in, just throwing them out there for now and I'll stick in whoever fits best with potential teammates!
    [-] The following 1 user Likes Elias Grimstone's post:
       Ophelia Dippet
    [Image: RlYf65H.jpg]
    Dot shan't play but shall cheer avidly, following Ismene's lead
    [Image: I2AqpO.png]
    SET BY TIFF | PLAY MY SISTER! 
    Oooh, have:
    @'Alfred Clearwater', Beater, (0/2/1)

I don't mind the team at all, just wherever he fits would be lovely! Maybe a Hospital dudes team?
    Helena SIG by Bex
    gorgeous set by Bex
    UM

@'Andrew Bingham' (-2/1/0) - you can choose the position as needed!

yeah that's it >.>

Ginny might cross between more than one category, but if there was a chaser needed in either a ladies team, or a mixed team she'd be game either on a lady team @'Ophelia Dippet' or as an infill in a random team

The Ginny retcon mean she is a bit less extreme in her opinions, cus she was veering towards a 3 rather than a quirky 4
    Ginevra has just been the first woman to fly around the world solo - you may be aware of this

[Image: 9yupVVd.jpg]
    Beauty by MJ!

Possibly Related Threads...
    Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
      Ladies' Quidditch Thom Pettigrew 7 622 11-12-2017, 08:58 PM
    Last Post: Summer Avery
      IC Quidditch Tryouts 1887 Odira Potter 32 2,491 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM
    Last Post: Odira Potter
      HEY NEW QUIDDITCH PLAYERS Cassius Lestrange 5 514 06-09-2017, 09:08 PM
    Last Post: Demelza McGonagall
      Let's Get Ready To Quidditch Thom Pettigrew 7 851 05-07-2017, 11:35 AM
    Last Post: Thom Pettigrew
      QUIDDITCH SEASON INCOMING / GIMME QUOTES Cassius Lestrange 5 595 04-28-2017, 10:30 AM
    Last Post: Elsie Beauregard